Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Stage Four - The dreaded Salt Flats

According to the update on the 4Deserts website, the salt flats comprise hard, crusted, coral-like terrain which is extremely difficult to navigate – and sometimes will tear shoes to shreds. I did read about a couple of competitors getting their shoes torn trying to navigate these parts, and they continued after fixing their shoes with tape!


The View 


The Climb



Sumanth has done a very brief blog update after stage four and I am thankful for that, as I was worried about him going through this part without any injuries.


That's him in the picture below, green cap, red bottle in hand (Pic 23 in the set)






His update is as follows:


Completed Stage 4, The Salt Flats.  Am screwed physically, legs hurting badly.  Going to rest and recoup ahead of tomorrow's long march - 73km in total.

Will update once I complete that.  Keep your wishes coming, they sustain me throughout.

Best
S


Like any wife would, I feel miserable to read that he is pain, that too 10000 miles away, when all I can send him are my thoughts and prayers. But then again, I know Sumanth is mentally prepared for this. He knew fully well what he was getting into. If he still at it, surely he think it is worth the back breaking grit and the pain.

Today, the contestants will be running the longest stage of the race, Stage Five - 74 km, also called the Long March. Here are some of the pictures of the Long March from the 2010 crossing.

At the end of Stage Four, Sumanth ranks 59th, which is a great improvement from his rank of the last three days.


Entire set of photos from Stage Four - here.

Wishing him lots of strength for stage five which stretches over the next two days.




No comments:

Post a Comment